Los Angeles Child Pornography Attorneys
Few criminal charges carry a greater lasting stigma and more serious overall life consequences than child pornography charges. Local law enforcement, federal agencies and the media all prioritize child porn busts, recognizing that the public applauds them and soaks up coverage of these cases.
California Penal Code Section 311.11
Child Pornography is Defined as:
- (a) Every person who knowingly possesses or controls any matter, representation of information, data, or image, including, but not limited to, any film, filmstrip, photograph, negative, slide, photocopy, videotape, video laser disc, computer hardware, computer software, computer floppy disc, data storage media, CD-ROM, or computer-generated equipment or any other computer-generated image that contains or incorporates in any manner, any film or filmstrip, the production of which involves the use of a person under 18 years of age, knowing that the matter depicts a person under 18 years of age personally engaging in or simulating sexual conduct, as defined in subdivision (d) of Section 311.4, is guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or a county jail for up to one year, or by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or by both the fine and imprisonment.
- (b) Every person who commits a violation of subdivision (a), and who has been previously convicted of a violation of this section, an offense requiring registration under the Sex Offender Registration Act, or an attempt to commit any of the above-mentioned offenses, is guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for two, four, or six years.
- s(c) Each person who commits a violation of subdivision (a) shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months, or two or five years, or shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for up to one year, or by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or by both the fine and imprisonment, if one of the following factors exists:
- The matter contains more than 600 images that violate subdivision (a), and the matter contains 10 or more images involving a prepubescent minor or a minor who has not attained 12 years of age.
- The matter portrays sexual sadism or sexual masochism involving a person under 18 years of age. For purposes of this section, “sexual sadism” means the intentional infliction of pain for purposes of sexual gratification or stimulation. For purposes of this section, “sexual masochism” means intentionally experiencing pain for purposes of sexual gratification or stimulation.
- (d) It is not necessary to prove that the matter is obscene in order to establish a violation of this section.
- (e) This section does not apply to drawings, figurines, statues, or any film rated by the Motion Picture Association of America, nor does it apply to live or recorded telephone messages when transmitted, disseminated, or distributed as part of a commercial transaction.
- (f) For purposes of determining the number of images under paragraph (1) of subdivision (c), the following shall apply:
- Each photograph, picture, computer or computer-generated image, or any similar visual depiction shall be considered to be one image.
- Each video, video-clip, movie, or similar visual depiction shall be considered to have 50 images.
A Balanced Approach and Defense Focused on Protecting Your Future
Our Los Angeles child pornography attorneys do not shy away from complex or controversial cases, including Los Angeles child pornography charges ultimately requiring defense in federal court. We believe adamantly in every citizen’s right to a zealous defense against any charge. Further, we know that many child porn cases are highly suspect in terms of the accused person’s guilt or ill intent.
We Will Hear You Out and Pursue All Legal Options
We know that your arrest for possession or distribution of illegal pornography may have come about in various ways. Some allegations are leveled by estranged spouses seeking leverage in a divorce or custody case, for example. A conflict at work may have led to a search of your computer — and images may have been there that you never intentionally or knowingly downloaded.
We have learned of several cases of men being arrested at an airport when returning from Thailand, some Central American destinations and elsewhere on suspicion of importing child pornography or having conspired with others to have sex with minors outside the U.S. Few people realize that a stop at any border or point of entry gives agents the authority to search your computer for media.
Turn to Our Experienced Los Angeles Child Pornography Attorneys
A conviction for a felony sex offense could mean prison time, the end of your career, the loss of your most valued friends and family connections, and required registration as a sex offender. Our firm is a resource for people who are unjustly accused or facing penalties that could damage their lives forever in profound ways.
To talk through your case and legal options with a practical, dedicated Los Angeles child pornography attorneys often consulted by the media on controversial cases, contact our firm now. We offer free initial consultations.